I have
been exposed to entrepreneurship my whole life because my dad is an
entrepreneur, so I grew up hearing about the day to day life of a business
owner. My dad owns a driveway sealer manufacturing company called Surface
Logix. When I was very young, I remember stuffing envelopes with invoices at
the end of every month with my dad in exchange for my allowance. Also, I remember
staying late at the retail store with my family so my parents could close
everything up and finish checking all the inventory. As I got older
though, my dad told me more details about what it’s like to be a business
owner. We have discussed dealing with difficult customers, betrayals from employees,
and the hard work and dedication it takes to be your own boss. One of the things
I noticed about my dad though is that he is a very thoughtful and generous
boss. He always sets goals for his employees and sales teams to meet, and if
they reach it, my dad takes the entire staff out for a fancy dinner, and so
much more. Moreover, my dad has taught me how to be a perfect balance of a
friend, and a boss for his employees. One of the perks about growing up with an
entrepreneur as your dad is that he never missed anything when I was a child,
and he always made it home in time for family dinner. It wasn’t always that
way. Hard work and dedication is crucial for a successful business, however, once
he reached a certain point in his business, he now has a very flexible schedule.
Since I grew up with this background, I decided to have a minor in
entrepreneurship and take this class so I could learn more about entrepreneurship
and possibly follow in my dads’ footsteps and be a business owner one day.
This is a picture of my dad, brother, and I on the right), when I was younger and we were advertising a paint sale at the retail store.
Ava,
ReplyDeleteI love your post and picture. I will say that the flexibility of an established entrepreneur is priceless. My husband is an entrepreneur and I'm a stay at home mom, so we have been blessed with having time to balance family and work. That's amazing that your father was able to participate in all your life experiences. I think with a growing family having an established business and being your own boss makes things a little easier. But I can't imagine starting a company and a family all at once.
Hi Ava, I found your story to be very relatable. Everything you said from helping your dad with tasks for allowances, having to learn how to be your own boss, and learning from their hard work. I can personally relate to it because I also helped my parents with small tasks in order to help and to get a little bit of extra allowance. Also, since my parents were their own boss, it was a very convenient thing but it also got in the way of some things.
ReplyDeleteHi Ava! My father is also an entrepreneur, and that is what initially sparked my interest in business. I love that your dad gave you tasks to help with the business in order to earn your allowance. My dad used to do the same thing. It seems like he taught you a lot of valuable lessons that will be beneficial throughout your career.
ReplyDeleteHi Ava!
ReplyDeleteI love the photo at the bottom, especially the outfits. What a creative way to attract attention! Crazy long hours are something that scares me away from becoming an entrepreneur, but you father's story instills confidence that flexible workdays follow hard work and subsequent success. That is super cool your own dad can be a mentor in starting a business! Hopefully he has good advice :)
Hi Ava!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog about your entrepreneurship story. Being an entrepreneur is so much more than having the idea now, it all starts when we are young! Thanks for sharing your story and I really loved the picture you added to your post! Great job!
-Kaitlin