- "Permit sought for bottled water from Ginnie Springs" By: Cindy Swirko of the Gainesville Sun
- https://infoweb-newsbank-com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&t=pubname%3AGSGB%21Gainesville%2BSun%252C%2BThe%2B%2528FL%2529/year%3A2019%212019/mody%3A0801%21August%2B01&f=advanced&action=browse&format=text&docref=news/17516B556C30A328
- This article discusses how Nestle food company requested to take water from Ginnie Springs but it received a lot of opposition from environmentalists. River advocates are concerned because pumping large amounts of water out of the spring could damage the spring. Many companies pump water from Florida Springs, and they do not have to pay for it, they just pay to receive the permits. The district governing board has yet to vote on the proposal.
- The problem in the article was if Nestle should be allowed to pump water from Ginnie Springs and if that would cause harm to the spring in the long run.
- Nestle and the district governing board have the problem and are facing backlash from river advocates.
- "Getting weapons off the streets" By: Cindy Swirko of the Gainesville Sun
- https://infoweb-newsbank-com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&t=pubname%3AGSGB%21Gainesville%2BSun%252C%2BThe%2B%2528FL%2529/year%3A2019%212019/mody%3A0807%21August%2B07&f=advanced&action=browse&format=text&docref=news/17536FC65356F550
- This article discusses the shootings happening in Duval and the buy back that is occurring behind the Gainesville Fire Station. The article also discusses the guns that have been fired in Gainesville, some even in broad daylight.
- The problem in the article is the issue of gun use in Gainesville and the steps needed to address it. The State Attorney's office said that they gun violence is "a problem we've been trying to tackle. We support the second Amendment but we also know there are some unwanted guns out there."
- This problem affects every American. Gun violence has been an issue for a long time, especially recently in America.
- "Amazon rainforest fires are so massive they're visible from space" By: Gary Dinges of Gainesville Sun
- https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&t=pubname%3AGSGB%21Gainesville%2BSun%252C%2BThe%2B%2528FL%2529/year%3A2019%212019/mody%3A0822%21August%2B22&f=advanced&action=browse&format=text&docref=news/17585BB74C70B910
- This article discusses the massive wildfire problem that has been occurring in the Amazon rainforest. According to CBS news there have been around 73,000 fires which is believed to be a new record. These wildfires have also affected the air quality of the surrounding cities such as Bolivia and Paraguay. Moreover, the state of Amazonas has declared the fires a national emergency.
- The problem discussed in the article is the issue of the rapid wildfires occurring in the Amazon rainforests and its affect on air quality.
- This problem affects everyone because these wildfires are hurting our environment. However, they most directly affect the citizens of Bolivia and Paraguay since it is affecting their way of life and air quality.
- "Family heads to South Florida looking for cheers, finds trouble" By: Sarah Nelson of Gainesville Sun
- https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&t=pubname%3AGSGB%21Gainesville%2BSun%252C%2BThe%2B%2528FL%2529/year%3A2019%212019/mody%3A0822%21August%2B22&f=advanced&action=browse&format=text&docref=news/17585BB758BC4298
- This article discusses a Gainesville family that had a shooter come into their home. The incident left the grandfather with a fractured collarbone and a sling. Luckily, no one died. The police are still investigating whether or not the shooting was intentional or accidental. However, the family believes that the shooter was targeting someone else.
- The problem discussed in the article is a home shooter that affected a family in Gainesville.
- This problem directly affected the family and the neighbors who are scared as well after the incident.
- "Florida case reveals terrors of cyberstalking" By: Dana Cassidy of Gainesville Sun
- https://infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&t=pubname%3AGSGB%21Gainesville%2BSun%252C%2BThe%2B%2528FL%2529/year%3A2019%212019/mody%3A0822%21August%2B22&f=advanced&action=browse&format=text&docref=news/17585BB726C47428
- This article discusses how a man posted nude photos of his ex-girlfriend and sent death threats to her family.The article continues to discuss the issue of cyberbullying and say that 1 in 14 people in the US have experienced cyberbullying. The author continues to describe other instances of cyber bullying.
- The problem discussed in the article is the issue of cyberbullying and how common it is today in social media.
- This problem affects many people in America and could happen to anyone.
Hi Ana, I really enjoyed reading your post. I really liked the one about seeing the Amazon rainforest fire being able to seen from space. But the one I liked the best was the Nestle asking permission to pump millions of spring water to be bottled and the sold to people. It's crazy how greedy corporations are taking something almost free and then selling it for a profit.
ReplyDeleteHello Ava,
ReplyDeleteI really interested while reading your articles especially the ones that happened in Gainesville. I just moved here 3 months ago from Orlando, so hearing that there is gun violence near where I live is a scary to hear and makes me feel unsafe. The last article you presented was sad to read, knowing that cyberbullying is only getting worse.
Hi Ava,
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize a lot of these issues were happening in Gainesville! To be honest, I am a little bit worried now. I think you did a great job commenting on each issue and who experiences the issues... oftentimes people not necessarily based in Gainesville. This just shows that local problems can have national solutions or vice versa!
Hi Ava,
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize there were so many issues in Gainesville before reading your post! I'm an exchange student who just moved in and I always thought that Gainesville is a really safe place, with it being a college town. I hope something could be done to resolve the issues soon...
Hi Ava!
ReplyDeleteYou really helped identified local issues that are happening right in our backyards of Gainesville. Hopefully something is soon resolved based on the findings that you presented within your blog post. It really opens up a lot more issues and concerns that are happening in the comforts of Gainesville Florida.
-Kaitlin
I found the article on the amazon rainforest interesting. So much of our air supply comes from the rainforest and the fires they have been facing have not been as publicly announced as a lot of other issues in America. I do not live in Gainesville so I was not aware of the gun problem going on in the area which can be pretty scary with the amount of young college students that live in the area.
ReplyDeleteHi Ava! I also spoke about the problem with guns in my assignment 5, this topic is something that many don't take as seriously as they should. Especially here in Florida where I feel the laws are not as secure as they are elsewhere. I found the article you found to be very interesting and insightful on how the State Attorney's office is going to handle this.
ReplyDelete