Monday, September 9, 2019

6A - Identifying Opportunities


  • Economic Trend: Oil and Gas Trends
    • Source: https://deloitte.wsj.com/cfo/2019/01/09/five-trends-to-watch-for-oil-gas-and-chemicals-in-2019/
    • I believe there is an opportunity here because there is evidence proving that the price of oil has rebounded. Oil and gas activity levels are rising, which is caused by increasing U.S. exports. Therefore, an opportunity could exist.
    • The prototypical customer could apply to many American citizens since gas and oil is a necessary product.
    • The opportunity is relatively easy to exploit because gas is a necessity in the United States for many people. 
    • I saw this opportunity because I know how much gas prices affect consumers and how much we depend on it for our daily lives.
  • Economic Trend: Consumer Spending 
    • Source: https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insights/economy/us-economic-forecast/united-states-outlook-analysis.html
    • I believe there is an opportunity that exists because consumer spending has grown steadily in the past couple of years, which plays a part in steady job growth and house prices. 
    • The prototypical customer could apply to all American consumers. More specifically, Americans who are looking in the job market or looking to purchase a house.
    • The opportunity is relatively easy to exploit because it has been steady for years and can apply to many people. 
    • I saw this opportunity because I learned about the importance of consumer spending in macroeconomics which is why it stood out to me when finding opportunities. 
  • Regulatory Changes: Weaken regulation on methane emissions 
    • Source:https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/29/trump-to-roll-back-methane-climate-change-regulations.html
    • I believe there is an opportunity here because constant debates about greenhouse gas emissions are present in our society so the new plans to weaken regulation on methane might present an opportunity.
    • The prototypical customer could apply to people who are passionate about emissions and the climate change issues.
    • The opportunity may be relatively difficult to exploit because these regulations are very controversial and difficult to solve.
    • I saw this opportunity because many people are very passionate about climate change so I believe it may be a potential opportunity that people would be interested in.
  • Regulatory Changes: Support for undocumented students 
    • Source:https://www.educationdive.com/news/colleges-help-undocumented-students-with-tailored-support-and-perspective/562474/
    • I believe there is an opportunity here because more colleges and universities are starting to support undocumented students and want to provide support for them. 
    • The prototypical customer would apply to students who are undocumented, or people who want to support this issue.
    • This opportunity may be relatively difficult to exploit because people may not be aware of this issue and the opportunity it presents.
    • I saw this opportunity because I found the article very interesting and thought it could relate to college students. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ava,

    Great work! You're articles were quite interesting to dive into! I am a little confused about what you believe each opportunity is, however. Therefore, I would suggest explaining it in more depth next time.

    As for your third opportunity, I also discussed an opportunity about climate change, but it related to renewable energy. After reading your post along with a couple other student's, climate change seems to be a big theme! I predict there will be LOTS of opportunities relating to environmental protection in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ava!
    Great job in explaining the economic trends that you found interesting. You identified the problem and found an opportunity with certain issues that you stated:emission, regulatory changes, undocumented students, as well as oil and gas trends. There are a lot of changes that can come to just the environment alone!
    -Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ava,
    I believe that all of the opportunities you identified are reasonable business opportunities. Consumer spending has increased due to a successful economy, although this is predicted to decline at some point in the future. I did not know about the opportunity for undocumented students, but I think that is a great way to help students on the path to success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ava! I really enjoyed reading all of your trends, they were very informative. The trend about consumer spending stuck out to me the most. I as a consumer, feel I spend money just as much as the next person. Especially because my bank account reminds me of how much I spend. It is interesting to see how prices have increased throughout the years and how it effects our economy.

    ReplyDelete