Andrew Carnegie, David Nasaw
1) You read about an entrepreneur:
- What surprised you the most?
- I was most surprised that Andrew Carnegie was only 5 feet tall. I found that fact very humorous and surprising. Also, I was surprised that Carnegie was so successful with very little formal education.
- What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
- I personally admired how Andrew Carnegie was a very successful businessman, yet he still gave back to others. Philanthropy is a passion of mine, so when I read that Carnegie gave away around 350 million dollars to others, I was very impressed. Carnegie's funds opened 2,500 public libraries, since he was a big lover of books.
- What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
- I least admired how some people felt that Carnegie became successful at the expense of his employees. His employees were so unhappy to the point that they refused to work and initiated the Homestead Strike of 1892. Even though Carnegie was not there during the strike, he was still responsible for keeping his employees happy.
- Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
- Carnegie experiences adversity and failure from a very young age. He witnessed his sister and brother dying, and he watched his father struggle and fail repeatedly. Also, Carnegie experienced business failures and had to reinvent the company numerous times. Specifically, his company dealt with labor issues. However, despite his struggles, Carnegie persevered and never gave up on his company and vision and turned it into a great success.
2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?
I noticed that Carnegie always had perseverance and never gave up. Creating a business as successful as Carnegies came with many obstacles. Since Carnegie grew up poor and experienced many hardships during his childhood, I noticed that Carnegie needed perseverance to be a success in America with no formal education.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
I was not very confused during the reading but if I had to pick something i would be curious to know more exactly how Carnegie made his company so big and successful. It seems very difficult to attain.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
- If you were to change anything, what would it be?
- I think that Carnegie may have good advice to avoid many of the hardships he endured when creating his company after looking back on it that could be helpful for a new entrepreneur.
- How did you make your company such a success and get past the obstacles and keep a positive attitude?
- creating a successful business as big as Carnegie's takes a lot of willpower and patience. Therefore, I would like to hear Carnegie's perspective on how he was able to make his company happen.
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
I think that Carnegie's opinion of hard work was never giving up and powering through any obstacle that was thrown his way. I agree with this opinion because I believe we have to endure hardship to learn how to create something great in the end.
Hello Ava,
ReplyDeleteA trend I have noticed about some of the entrepreneurs is that they had little education compared to others, and that they all had perseverance while working. This biography of Andrew Carneige sounds very intriguing and I think I will choose to read this book when it comes to doing the third reflection. It sound Carneige went through a lot of struggles in life and somehow pushed through and became successful.
Hi Ava,
ReplyDeleteBecause we selected different books to read, I was interested to be able to learn about Andrew Carnegie through your post. I think that donating over 350 million dollars is an amazing accomplishment. I believe that giving back is the most important thing a successful businessperson can do. Carnegie is similar to Elon Musk in that his success came at the expense of his employees. Overall, Carnegie set a great example of hard work resulting in success, as he displayed determination and perseverance throughout his career.
I guess you can say that Carnegie was small yet mighty. I think that it's awesome that he gave back to the community by donating so much. This shows that he wasn't always worried about how his business was going, but he wanted to share and dedicate his success to the community that made his dreams come true. I feel that Carnegie's competencies are the main driving forces for many other entrepreneurs. Even when times become tough and hard to go through, in order to push through that, you have to believe in yourself and persevere to get to that light at the end of the tunnel.
ReplyDeleteAva, I enjoyed reading your interpretation of Andrew Carnegie. I had no idea about the struggles he faced and hurdles he had to jump in order to be a successful businessman. Additionally, I think that his philanthropic efforts were especially important. It's comforting to know that successful entrepreneurs such as Carnegie still feel the urge to help others and donate their money.
ReplyDelete