1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
I read the book How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams. The general theme of the book was to welcome failure and embrace it.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
Accepting failure plays a huge role into ENT3003 because as Entrepreneurs, we are bound to fail and make mistakes. Learning from those mistakes and accepting failure is very important to be successful in the business world.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
If I had to design an exercise for this class, I would give different failure scenarios, and we would have to identify the lessons and where we can learn to improve based on the mistakes. Doing so reinforces the message of the book, and connects back to what we learn in class about being an Entrepreneur.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
One of the biggest "aha" moments i had when reading the book was when Adams made the point about how being selfish can be a good thing. Selfishness can involve spending time exercising and taking care of ourselves, spending time with our friends and doing things for ourselves. Adams explains that we need to be in a positive place with ourselves before we can help and focus on the needs of other people. I found this surprising because I had never thought about selfishness like that before. Being selfish always has a negative connotation so I liked how Adams brought up that crucial point about it.
Hi Ava,
ReplyDeleteWe selected different books for this assignment, so I enjoyed being able to read your reflection of How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big. I understand that entrepreneurs often face failure before they are able to create successful ventures. Similarly, most young businesspeople will face failure from time to time and could all benefit from learning how to handle such failures. I agree that a positive mindset is key in following through with your goals.
Hi Ava!
ReplyDeleteThe other person’s post that I replied to for this assignment also read this book and had a differing viewpoint to you so it was interesting to read what you thought of the book. I like that you got something out of the book and learned something new and are now able to apply that knowledge to your business career. I think that your submission included all aspects and I have no critiques or suggestions.
I actually chose this book as well, mostly because I try not to set goals for myself because I'm always extremely hard on myself and if I fail at something I get way too upset. I think having systems like Adams talks about in the book is a great way to be held reliable but at the same time, it doesn't hold you to standards that may be unrealistic. I also enjoyed reading about being selfish- although it sounds bad, ultimately you have to be selfish in order to succeed.
ReplyDeleteAva,
ReplyDeleteI selected a different reading for this assignment so it was nice reading your post and gathering information on a different topic. A system where one is held reliable but at the same time, it doesn't hold you to standards that may be unrealistic is a very unique idea. I think that would be helpful because I know many people get very negative when a situation fails or doesnt work out like they want it to. I agree with what you said, having a positive mindset is key to success.
Ava, I also picked this book for this reflection assignment. I really liked how Adams took a head-on approach to failure and explained how failure is necessary for us to grow and learn. I came up with an assignment for this class similar to the one you outlined. I think it's important, especially in this class, to be comfortable with failure and acknowledge that it serves more of a role as a teacher instead of a roadblock.
ReplyDelete